Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Be Wise . . . . Not a Robot





So, since you mentioned the Philippines, it reminded you that there is a very spiffy piece of information that I don't think I've ever told you guys! You see, getting India Visas is a very tricky thing to do, and one requirement that the Indian government has said is that our Visas can only last for one year, and then we need to get a new one. BUT, we need to leave the country to get a new India Visa. So when our missionary visas expire, they ship us over to the Philippines until we get new Visas! Whaaaat! Crazy! So in 6 months, I will go become a Filipino missionary for a few months while I get a new visa! How cool is that? I get to serve in TWO missions! :D


This Saturday I had my second Zone Conference, and wow, it was AMAZING! I love getting to hear from President Barrett! He's not only physically a giant, but a spiritual giant as well. One thing we learned about was how to help people understand the true nature of the Godhead, and how they are NOT all the same person (I think every person in this country prays to Jesus... :P ) I can definitely work on that, because I all too often skim over that fact with investigators, that we need to pray to Heavenly Father, in the name of Jesus Christ.

President also talked to me about how I need to be wise in how I use the Missionary Handbook. You see, President Funk (the mission president last year) was all about following the handbook to the letter of the law. Very much law of Moses style. So, that was the way I was trained (If the handbook says to do _____, we will do _____, even if it seems illogical to do so). But President Barrett helped explain to me that he wants us to use the handbook wisely, meaning to follow the letter of the law as best as possible, but not to be afraid to change it if the Spirit/our God given brain tells us otherwise. This is quite a change in the thinking, and I am still working on it. Being wise.... much more difficult than being an exact obedience missionary robot!


This week we got to begin teaching a very special man named Banu. He has been Hindu his whole life until a month or so ago, so his knowledge of Christianity is very... limited. BUT, he is so so so humble and willing to learn more! It's actually kind of scary how receptive he is to what we teach... We told him in the lesson, "Banu, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is God's ONLY true and living church on the Earth today." Then later during the second lesson one of his friends came in the room, and asked who we white guys are, and Banu told him we are missionaries for the only true church! Wow! Didn't take long at all for him to accept that very important truth! :)


The India Bangalore mission... THE best mission in the world! And no, I'm not biased at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment