Sunday, June 2, 2013

Still in the MTC

Hi family! 

WOW! That's awesome!! That's really great to hear about David. Sounds like he had an amazing farewell, and I'm glad to hear that me and the other guys got to be 
such a positive influence in his life. He is going to be a top notch missionary, for sure!

Well, guess where I am... at the MTC! I was going to leave yesterday for India, 
but my visa didn't get approved in time.... Sooooo, as of now, it looks like I 
will be staying here for another 2 weeks, and then I will get to ship off to 
India. If my plans change from that though, the MTC lets me call you, so unless 
you hear from me otherwise I will be here in Provo until June 10th. 

Yesterday morning was definitely the hardest day here. Having 70% of our district leave, and then just having 3 of us India missionaries stick around was... kind of disappointing. Our group really felt the absence of our friends, and all 3 of us really wished we were out in the field right now too. BUT, things definitely 
got better by the end of the day. Our trio companionship really began to grow, 
and as we went to more classes we realized that we still have a lot to learn 
before we are fully prepared to begin teaching. So, although we were sad to not 
be leaving, we are all beginning to see that staying at the MTC for 2 moe weeks 
might be just what we need to help us really get ready to teach the people of 
India! 

Plus, I'm in no hurry to leave the food here! A donut every morning, hot 
chocolate with a chocolate chip cookie at lunch, and ice cream after dinner! I'm livin' the good life here! :) 

This week I got to sing in the MTC choir! That was so amazing! The Spirit I felt there was extremely powerful, and plus I always love to sing! 

This week is also the first week I really began exercising/working out, and I've quickly realized that I am OUT OF SHAPE! I did like 5 pulls ups, and then I was 
dying! Maybe by the end of my mission I will not only be spiritually stronger, 
but also physically stronger! woo woo!

I've been amazed at how fast I've been able to adjust to missionary life. At first waking up at 6:30 was a dread, but now my body is so used to it that I wake up at like 6:25, because my body just knows that it's gonna need to get up in a 
minute. And I've even gotten used to being with a companion 24/7. Through a 
series of interesting circumstances, me and my companion were separated by like 4 rows of people during one of our meetings, so it was just me sitting by myself, and I felt so uncomfortable! Especially since I was in between two sister 
missionaries... the whole time I just wanted to get back with my companion!! It's funny how quickly you can change when you are on a mission for the Lord. 

On a different note, this week my and my companion Elder Singh had quite a 
variety of investigators we got to teach. One of my favorite investigators was a man named George. George is an old man that lives by himself, and has been 
inactive for about a year. Instead of teaching him, me and my companion pretty much just listened to him talk for almost an hour, asked him a question here and 
there, and by the end of our discussion he had convinced himself that he should 
go back to church. So cool! Good thing I had just reviewed the "How To Listen" 
section of Preach My Gospel the night before, because listening skills definitely came in handy with George. In particular, I really found that when I JUST 
listen, instead of listening and trying to formulate a response in my mind at the same time, I am able to give much better responses when the time comes for me to talk. When we really listen to people with love, God gives us what we should say in the very moment that we need it.
 
We also taught a woman named Joy this week. She has many friends that are 
members, so she already knew a lot of what our church teaches. So instead of 
teaching her all that much, we mostly just bore our testimonies of the truths 
that she had already learned from her friends. By the end of the lesson she was 
crying, and said she would start reading The Book of Mormon and pray to know if 
it is true (which of course it is). An awesome lady for sure!   

This Gospel really is amazing, and I can't wait to share it with even more 
people!

Lots of love,
Your Favorite Missionary 


No comments:

Post a Comment